Mammoth Golden Orb Weaver Spider Eating A Bird In Australian Backyard Caught On Film

by Trendy

giant-golden-orb-weaver-spider-eating-a-bird A giant golden orb weaver spider in a backyard of Atherton, Australia was found to be feeding on a bird that was many times its size.  An Australian newspaper Cairns Post posted the pictures of the golden orb weaver spider feeding on the bird. The pictures were captured on film, probably by the home owner. The bird is a Chestnut-breeded Mannikin and apparently got entangled in the web of this spider.

The giant golden orb weaver spiders are found in Australia and are usually known to only prey on large insects. This is the first time anyone has seen it eat a prey this large. the golden orb weaver’s web is very strong is said to be rich in protein. These spiders usually wait till their preys give up and become a sitting duck. The spider’s web is so strong that the prey usually stand very little chance in breaking the web and escaping. You can imagine how strong this particular spider’s web would have been to capture this Mannikin and not let it free itself.

Get this amazing poster of the Golden Orb Weaver.

mammoth-golden-orb-weaver-spider-eating-a-bird

Love this article? Get our best articles, deals and newsletters delivered direct to your inbox at no cost. Subscribe by entering your email below.

We respect your privacy and will never share your e-mail address with anyone.

{ 13 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Ashley Reifenberger April 7, 2009 at 8:42 am

O MY GOSH!!!!!!!! HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!! I’M SOOOO NOT GOING 2 AUSTRALIA ANYMORE!!!!!!!

2 Amanda June 30, 2009 at 10:42 am

AHGGG!!! nasty gross huge spider.. I am so glad I don’t live there and will never go there… NASTY

3 sierra szabo September 5, 2009 at 9:07 pm

EWWWWWWW!!!!!!! That is totally discusting!! Didn’t even know that there was such thing as a spider that could be that gross!!! Not that there are spiders that aren’t gross. Almost puked.

4 Enigma October 25, 2009 at 6:34 am

I hail from Australia
Mmm… Those spiders are nasty… personally, I’ve seen huntsman spiders to rival that one…
A little rule at home – if a spider grows larger than your face, it’s time to whip out the leaf blower and switch it to “suck”. =)
*shudder* … ack, I hate spiders!

5 victor campoa February 5, 2010 at 11:17 am

wow ou reallyn toke a god pic

6 Josh Chavez May 5, 2010 at 11:16 am

ewwww when i seen this i wanted to scream. i show all my friends all the time. they cant belive what there seeing. i mean when u see movies with spiders in it u think that its not possible for spiders to get that big well this picture poves me wrong. if u have not seen the camel spider look it up and read about it, its story is one u wont forget trust me i havent….

7 bob May 6, 2010 at 5:56 pm

Nah use the flame-thrower

8 Chelsea June 15, 2010 at 11:19 pm

ppl need to do somethiNq wiHt spiDers thiS biq. how bouht kill them or capture them so they dnt reproduce or reproduce under careful watch. Because this can become a problem. iT already attacked a bird so who knows what it will attack nxt….

9 jw October 13, 2010 at 2:50 pm

ha! the spider didn’t just go out and attack a bird! if you read the article, the bird got tangled in its web, which is how spiders catch their prey. also, these spiders usually only eat other insects. orb weaver spiders are generally not agressive and do not just attack animals or humans. try not to get stuck in its web and i’m sure you’ll be safe.

10 zs May 4, 2011 at 12:40 am

I love orb weavers! I’m guessing since these are in Australia I saw a different kind in Panama, but it was so pretty. I want one. They seem so nice…in a spider way.
At least its not the Camel Spider. Orb weavers are nice, Camel spiders are like spiders on steroids and some weird creepy things. They’re like ants mixed with spiders and hit with a growth ray! Uhg. Compared to them, this guy is just a baby.

11 Foreken July 7, 2011 at 11:58 pm

Now for some bbq bird from down under. That’s some good eat’n !

12 Aristeen August 6, 2011 at 7:23 am

I’ve been lucky enough to go to the land down under. I saw a lot of the majestic and dangerous critters they have. This photo is totally awesome! I still want to go back. It’s a wonderland of thrills and chills in the animal world!

13 Brandy September 23, 2011 at 7:17 am

@Zs… Camel spiders aren’t really spiders, and the only reason why they chase people or other things it to catch your shade… they are trying to get out of the scorching sun lol. This spider is amazing.