As Hurricane Ike picks up speed and grows into a bigger storm, the city of Houston and Harris County Emergency Management are beginning to evacuate residents. Handicapped residents, senior citizens and others with special needs are being evacuated this morning. Also, residents of low lying areas in the Houston area and Harris County will also start evacuating today following a mandatory evacuation order that has been issued. Hurricane Ike is expected to make landfall somewhere south of the Galveston and will bring with Hurricane 4 power winds and big wave surges. A mandatory evacuation order is also in place for the entire Galveston island and was issued by the Mayor of Galveston.
Governor Rick Perry of Texas has already put the National Guards of Texas on standby to help with the emergency situation created by the approaching hurricane Ike. He has also issued a disaster declaration for about 88 counties of Texas that are most likely to affected by the Hurricane. FEMA and other federal agencies are working hard to make sure that all emergency preparation are in place following President Bush’s declaration of emergency in the State of Texas.
Mayor Bill White Of Houston and a Harris County Judge Ed Emmett have issued orders for mandatory evacuations of residents living in Harris County zip codes 77586 (Zone A), 77058, 77059, 77062, 77520, 77546, 77571, 77598 (Zone B) beginning at noon today.
Here is the complete list of zip codes in the evacuation orders:
Here is a Houston Area Zip Code map showing Houston Evacuation Zones and Harris County Evacuation Zones. Click on the map to view it in detail.
Also, please continue to check newly added evacuation zones and zip codes at City Of Houston’s website houstonhidefromthewind.org.
Other Resources For Hurricane Ike Evacuations in Houston, Harris County and Galveston:
- City Of Houston Forecasted Maximum Sustained Wind Data From Office Of Emergency Managament – www.houstonhidefromthewind.org
- Official Website of City Of Houston – Houston Area Evacuation Zones by Zip Code & Houston Area Evacuation Map – www.houstontx.gov
- Harris County Emergency Management – Harris County Hurricane Ike Bulletins & Harris County Evacuation Zones With Harris County Zip Code Maps – www.hcoem.org
- Galveston County Office Of Emergency Management – Galveston County Evacuations And Hurricane Ike Updates – www.gcoem.org
- Houston Transtar Traffic Cameras & Houston Transtar Traffic Webcams – traffic.houstontranstar.org
- Houston Chronicle Newspaper – www.chron.com
- Galveston County Daily News – galvestondailynews.com
- Fox Local Station – KRIV 26 – www.myfoxhoustonlive.com
- NBC Local Station – KPRC 2 – www.click2houston.com
- CBS Local Station – KHOU 11 – www.khou.com
- ABC Local Station – KTRK 13 www.khcw.trb.com