Death Tunnel, White Plague and Hauntings Make Waverly Hills Sanatorium One Of The World’s Most Scariest Places

by Trendy

The Waverly Hills Sanatorium is located in Louisville, Kentucky and is often classified as “one of the most scariest places on earth”. Ghost Hunters of the Sci Fi Channel and Family Channel’s Scariest Places On Earth have also talked about the Waverly Hills Sanatorium.

Waverly Hills was started in 1910 as a hospital with 140 beds outside of Louisville. The place was isolated and was mainly opened to care for patients that were infected by the ‘White Plague’ disease also known Tuberculosis. As there was no real cure for TB at that time, this facility started to receive a lot more patients than it could handle. A number of patients died at the facility. In order to handle more patients, the Waverly Hills Sanatorium was expanded to house 500 patients with everything needed to keep it self-sufficient.

The most talked about part of the Waverly Hills Sanatorium is the ‘Death Tunnel’. The ‘Death Tunnel’ was a 500 feet underground tunnel of the Sanatorium that was used to transport dead bodies from the main hospital to a receiving area for dead bodies. The dead bodies would then be handed over to loved ones from there. The ‘Death Tunnel’ was a very important part in the hospital’s treatment of TB. A recovering patient would lose his will to live if he saw a dead TB patient. This was what the doctors at the hospital thought and special care was taken to dispose off the dead bodies in a manner such that living patients never saw any dead patients. All bodily fluids were removed from the dead bodies before they were sent down the Death tunnel.

The facility was closed down in 1961 and since then there have been numerous tales that if believed would make this place ‘One of the most scariest places on Earth’. Room 502 of the Sanatorium has a story associated with it and two suicides are said to have occurred in this room. Hauntings of different forms have been witnessed here. According to a Wiki article,

Room 502 is the subject of a local myth about two suicides which are said to have occurred in the room. The first reported death is that of nurse Mary Hillenburg, who is said to have hanged herself from a fixture in 1928 after becoming pregnant out of wedlock; the second, that of a nurse who is said to have been pushed or jumped out the window.

There have been several hauntings in different forms to be confirmed by multiple visitors to the grounds. While Room 502 and the Death Tunnel are nearly synonymous with Waverly Hills, those familiar with the hospitals paranormal history have either heard or seen the child known simply as “Timmy”. While no real history into the child’s human life is known, there have been scattered claims that the young ghost enjoys playing interactive games, such as hide and seek. There have been reports of sudden temperature plummets in an area or room as well as people feeling “cold spots” in various areas or even the sensation of a physical contact as that of a person’s hand. There are even reports of an elderly woman, wrists chained and bleeding (most likely from the geriatric hospital days) running out of the front door pleading for help. Still others outside the hospital have made claims of rooms lighting up briefly despite there being no electricity since the hospital closed.

- Other forms of paranormal activity reported to be found in the hospital include: “Shadow People” (Apparitions shaped as a human but with no physical detail); Orbs (Balls of light that inexplicably appear on film but not to the naked eye), and Electronic Voice Phenomenon (EVP) Recordings, which are essentially voice “footprints” left behind by a spirit without any physical form necessarily connected to it that are usually heard best through a special high-power audio recorder that then plays back what one might not have heard on their own.

To read more about the hauntings and stories surrounding the Sanatorium, check the Wikipedia article here.

In 2005, director Philip Adrian Booth made a movie titled ‘Death Tunnel’ with a plot in which five students are trapped in the abandoned Waverly Hills Sanatorium. Recently, there have been plans to convert the Sanatorium into a hotel. This property was bought by a Ford employee in 2001 and he now wants to convert into a ‘Haunted’ hotel. This place is also listed on the National Register Of Historic Places.

Waverly Hills Sanatorium Death Tunnel Ghosts Get The DVD of SPOOKED – The Ghosts Of Waverly Hills Sanatorium – Documentary By the Booth Brothers – As seen on SyFy. This highly acclaimed documentary follows Hollywood filmmakers, The Booth Brothers as they uncover the shocking truth within the haunted halls of The Scariest Place On Earth, Waverly Hills Sanatorium, a monster of a building where it is said over 63,000 people died. Some say the DEAD are still there!

Love this article? Get our best articles, deals and newsletters delivered direct to your inbox at no cost. Subscribe by entering your email below.

We respect your privacy and will never share your e-mail address with anyone.

{ 44 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Kelsea Willis September 7, 2008 at 1:24 pm

Umm…. By any chance was there a nurse with the last name Willis?

2 jasmine b October 27, 2008 at 7:18 am

yes this iz very scary and i belive that it really is real 2 still 2day catch

3 krisha October 30, 2008 at 3:42 pm

this movie take a real shit out of me lol plur

4 aysa November 17, 2008 at 8:51 am

indeed this is interseting, i would love to visit this hospital.

5 Kate December 5, 2008 at 7:40 am

This place does sound scary but I would love to visit it. I am really into stuff like this. I would love to know everything that went on in their, like experiments and stuff.

6 Jaylin December 30, 2008 at 1:52 am

I think this is so interersting. I have been reading stuff about this place for awhile now. and i would like to visit it someday and i plan on it.

7 doster January 7, 2009 at 10:42 pm

ive been here before. A couple of my buddies and I walked up and down all 500 feet of the death chute. We had to break into the hospital but only got a few minutes to run around before we were kicked out. pretty scary stuff. check out the pics on my facebook!

8 doster January 7, 2009 at 10:43 pm
9 amina January 9, 2009 at 1:09 am

this is so scary stuff like its really reall ha ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111

10 Michae Grisham February 20, 2009 at 9:32 am

I belive this place is haunted and i plan to visit very soon. When i do i’ll check back in and write about my time at one of The World’s Most Scariest Places.

11 paige butler February 22, 2009 at 12:27 pm

-i’ve been reading on this hospital for a while.im dien to go to it.it would be amazing to know every detail to this.if its the last thing i do im going to go and visit this place.

12 danielle and nikki May 7, 2009 at 12:29 pm

we want to go there so bad!!!! we love scary things!!!!
we want to feed our minds with this place’s past!!!!

13 Odyssey May 10, 2009 at 9:30 pm

I wanna visit this place! Is it going to be exciting or is it going to be scary?

14 Cheyanne Loves Joe(: May 18, 2009 at 1:43 pm

By God! This Place Is So Scary!
I Wanna Go!
<97810

15 eccentric June 24, 2009 at 9:40 pm

I seen the movie and read about it, so now I want to vist the hospital and feel athmospher of it.

16 mikep July 30, 2009 at 10:56 pm

im going here it sounds awesome

17 kimberly--13 August 24, 2009 at 2:44 pm

i would love to visit this place and walk all five floors.the story behind this place is very interesting.

18 debbie cox September 2, 2009 at 7:23 pm

I would love to see this place. I would not go by myself. I think it would be great if there are any family members still living, who at one time had relatives that worked there, could tell some true life stories about the place.I live in a city that has several haunted places. 2 or 3 have been talked about on the Sci-Fi channel. Does anyone out there know of someone personally that may have worked at Waverly Hills Sanatorium, or a family member? Well gotta go! Bye for now, Debbie

19 John Sanabria September 7, 2009 at 6:36 am

The building and surrounding property are now private property with multiple security measures. “No Trespassing” signs are posted throughout the property. Security cameras are installed in various spots on the property, including the exterior and interior of the building. Further, volunteer security guards watch the site around the clock.[citation needed]

Since December 2008, Plans have been made to turn the building into a four star hotel and restore the fourth floor to its original condition.

20 Dino Muratbegovic October 4, 2009 at 11:10 am

I’ve been there and it is horrible. I’ve been to some freaky places, like the Queen Mary a haunted ship in which I was nearly choked to death and awoken covered in cuts nad bruises, but that place was the worst. The lights flicker, things fly across the hall by their own power, etc. I would never willingly return.

21 Haley October 4, 2009 at 11:31 am

I think this place would be really interesting to visit… but it kinda bothers me that the fact that 1000s to 10,000s of people were grossly mistreated and/or died there in the worst conditions possible and the only thing people say about it is that it’s a “cool place they want to visit”.

22 Courtney October 4, 2009 at 11:44 am

im watching the movie right now on scyfy. and wow its scary. i would love to go to this placE!

23 Webcam Chat Room October 4, 2009 at 3:48 pm

I wonder why the last owner thought it would be a great idea to make it a hotel. Some crazy people out there…

24 keith November 6, 2009 at 11:10 am

ive been to this place. mt group and i got permission to spend 6 days and nights here and documrnt our findings. there were four in the group. the first night we each chose an area that we felt connected to….but not the death tunnel. that was reserved for the final two nights. we got many hours of video, many showing multiple orbs, we also got shadow figures in several of the rooms on the third floor. we used digital audio recorders and got evps from rooms on the second and third floor. the tapes and audio we got from the tunnel absolutely blew our minds. we got shadow images, sounds of carts with squeeky wheels, and a white apparition that looked female, which came towards us only to vanish when we greeted it. this hospital was, in its time, state of the art. the conditions of the patients were exactly what one would expect from a large hospital. people were treated with dignity. where the idea came about that the patients lived in miserable conditions ill never know. there is also a ghost that the article fails to mention, that of a nursewho, upon finding out she was positive for tb killed herself rather than be taken from her family only to die in the sterile confines of the hospital of a disease that is very painful and can take years to kill you.

25 brookglen November 13, 2009 at 8:51 pm

i love this sanitarium it sooooo cool im doing a self report for school and im looking off of your website

26 Vicki January 3, 2010 at 2:16 am

I DEF WANT 2 VISIT THIS PLACE!!!!!!!!!! ^.^

27 RSF January 5, 2010 at 9:09 am

Here’s all you need to know: “one of the most scariest places”. If you refuse to get a real life then at least get some real education so you can communicate properly. God what morons.

28 Sasha January 6, 2010 at 7:16 am

great movie, but real life interests me more, to think that it really use to be a hospital and real people worked and died there, its amazing and tragic.

29 paula February 11, 2010 at 4:36 am

i cant wait to visit there.me and my bf are plaining to come for a overnite visit…

30 paula February 11, 2010 at 4:39 am

the movie was gr8.i cant wait to vist waverly hills.

31 Jeff October 26, 2010 at 10:25 pm

The movie was great, Once i thought it’s not real until I’ve seen this site

32 K October 31, 2010 at 9:54 am

I have not yet seen the movie but have seen the show “scariest places on earth”. I respect the spirits that still remain here and have had numerous paranormal experiences in my life. I am interested in visiting this location. I would not break in though, I would probably just keep my distance. I am not sure about the hotel plans, that could turn out really bad. Maybe it could be opened to the public every now and then since it is a historical building.

33 The Tripod December 14, 2010 at 11:48 am

Yeah I’d like to visit this place. I know some twins down the block that would get wet over this, especially if it was a hotel. I could probably tap both of them… Threesome:) if this guy builds a hotel, I’m there, give these ghosts the shock they need to realize they haven’t been laid in years.

34 Sammie December 14, 2010 at 3:36 pm

I just got done watching the movie Death Tunnel on Syfy. And I think it would be really cool to go visit it. The movie really came close to the article I just read about the white plague. If they did turn it into a hotel. I would so spend a night in 502.

35 keira February 4, 2011 at 4:00 pm

I wonder if it’s opened for people to spend the night there for acare expeirence…

36 Joanna May 6, 2011 at 7:14 am

Everyone that died there moved on. Its the Devil who lerks, he knows everyones past, dont be fooled. The devil hangs around there , hence the number 666, as supposed to 777. Perfect number. Gods number

37 HoboJack September 12, 2011 at 9:03 am

Thats sad, I saw the movie Death Tunnel,

38 please September 12, 2011 at 9:04 am

my mom says this is mean, she has the disease tuberculosis

39 Lethal Weapon April 17, 2012 at 3:22 pm

The hospital has been sold. He is suppose to change it to a hunted hotel, well thats what he wants to do with the place. If it was me I would fix it up but keep it just the way it was back then. Its a hospital not a hotel.

40 CHANA September 22, 2012 at 7:30 pm

I have wanted to visit this place for years. My husband and I plan on doing the full 8 hour tour and exploring each floor of the hospital. If it’s ever turned into a hotel I’m definitely there! ! I’m not so much interested in the haunted house they have there during Halloween but I’m definitely interested in the full tours they have each year.

41 vinnie June 4, 2013 at 2:34 am

i live in nz and i watchd the movie on dvd i am really interested in visiting this old hospital i wanna know the real nurses that actualy died in this hospital and if they have family members that are related to the nurses

42 freeze pro shop discount code June 4, 2014 at 11:11 pm

Wow, this article is good, my younger sister is analyzing these things, so I am going to let know
her.

43 Rox discount code June 9, 2014 at 5:38 am

Hi there to all, how is all, I think every one is getting more from this site, and
your views are pleasant in favor of new users.

44 London Pass Promo Code June 13, 2014 at 7:43 am

My partner and I stumbled over here coming from a different website and thought I should check things out.
I like what I see so now i am following you. Look forward to
looking at your web page yet again.